January 8th, one of my favorite celebration days as you already know. On this day long ago Elvis Presley, David Bowie and my granny were born. I love this date casualty, makes me happy, even though both Elvis and my grandma are no longer here.
I have to work, but my plan is to spend my spare time paying homage to The King, with music and probably watching one of his films, or a documentary.
Of course, a post related couldn’t be missed, thus this year I’ve thought of 13 facts about Elvis Presley, so you can know him better.
1. November 1955, Sam Phillips sold Elvis‘ contract to RCA for USD 35000
2. Heartbreak Hotel, released in January 27th 1956, was the first Elvis single to sell over a million copies
3. The NBC Elvis Special which turned to be his praised ’68 Comeback Special, was initially planned to be a Christmas show
4. In Mogadishu, Somalia, it is illegal impersonating Elvis without a beard.
5. Elvis’ favorite aftershave: BRUT
6. Elvis Sandwich (aka Fool’s Gold Loaf) was stuffed with peanut butter and banana, (bacon and honey were optional)
7. In order to fulfill contractual obligation, Elvis released “Having Fun with Elvis on Stage” in 1974, which basically consisted on a compilation of jokes and speeches recorded from Elvis’ shows.
8. After a big argument with Priscilla, Elvis caught the first flight to anywhere just to get away from her. First to Washington, then to LA, where Jerry Schilling came to pick him up. Elvis finally got the idea of paying an unscheduled visit to Nixon at the White House, after wrote him a letter on a plane, in order to be made Federal Agent-at-Large” in the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs and thus get this badge to add to his collection. He finally made it. I bet Nixon was flipping in the Oval Office.
9. Elvis was black belt in Karate, and wanted to release a documentary to promote this discipline. He started practising in Germany and became passionate on this discipline. He thought a movie would support and encourage the practise of karate, but footage was never edited when Elvis was alive. However there’s a documentary, Gladiators, released 2-3 years ago, in an attempt to recover Elvis’ initial project. By the way, Priscilla, who also ended up practising karate left The King for their instructor.
10. Jailhouse Rock was the first video ever made in history.
11. Since he was very young, he suffered from chronic sleeping disorders and insomnia. His Army time in Germany got things worse, as due to manoeuvres, trainings and guards, he started taking pills (uppers and downers) beyond control.
12. The King hated fish. Ha! So do I.
13. Priscilla suggested Elvis to wear jumpsuits on stage so he would move freely withouth breaking pants. Liberace alse advised to make them flashy.